ADSM-L

Re: IBM 3494

2001-09-06 11:54:11
Subject: Re: IBM 3494
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:55:30 -0400
>His telephone area code indicates that he is in California. I have
>seen pictures of household water heaters that fell over during
>earthquakes in California. Some types of computer equipment are as
>tall in proportion to their width as a water heater, so there is real
>reason for concern about equipment falling over during an earthquake.

I had suspected that it was for earthquake reasons.  I was thinking
of our own computer room with some of the usual minimal clearances
around the periphery of the room, and how someone standing there
could be crushed against the wall; so bolting sounds like a good
idea.  Also, heavy equipment suddenly moving could cause 220 volt
power cables to get ripped, with bad ramifications (a lot of
computer room floors have steel undersides).

  Richard Sims, BU