ADSM-L

mgmt class for SYSTEMOBJECT and Windows 2000 (client 4.2)

2001-09-05 10:36:24
Subject: mgmt class for SYSTEMOBJECT and Windows 2000 (client 4.2)
From: "Martin JF (DTI)" <JF.Martin AT SPCUM.QC DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:07:05 -0400
Hi to you all,

We're new to TSM 4.2 and just starting to deploy the client 4.2 for our
Windows 2000 servers... We heard that in previous version of TSM client, we
could not specify a management class for SYSTEMOBJECT in the include
statement. Now, we can with 4.2.... We'd like to hear from others about
using this new feature. For example, during a backup, do you refer to a
specific management class for SYSTEMOBJECT and if so, how many versions
(active, inactive) do you keep? We heard that SYSTEMOBJECT can produce a lot
of TSM DB overhead (more than 1500 objects added for each backup everytime
even if those objects don't change).

Furthermore, we'd like to know how TSM consider SYSTEMOBJECT backup during
incrementals... does it treats it like a single object ? (i.e. if only a
single file is modified in SYSTEMOBJECT, does TSM take the whole
SYSTEMOBJECT again in backup and make the previous SYSTEMOBJECT version
inactive... if so, this would indicate that TSM treats SYSTEMOBJECT like a
single entity and apply the same logic about making this object
active/inactive during incrementals backups).

The point here is to use a mgmt class that limits how many versions of
SYSTEMOBJECT to keep compared to regular user files...

Thanks for taking time to reply to this inquiry.

JF Martin
CUM