ADSM-L

Re: Automated procedure/ script to perform Checkout of daily dbbackup vol

2001-09-04 10:18:59
Subject: Re: Automated procedure/ script to perform Checkout of daily dbbackup vol
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:19:49 -0400
> Here is my request :  I would like to perform a daily checkout of my
>dbbackup(full) volume from the tape library (LTO 3583) without
>having the operator issue the checkout libv command. All I want the operator
>to do is to open the I/O station and remove the tapes.
>Is there any solution ???
>I've set up a procedure/script to perform the automated checkout of volumes
>from the library but unfortunately, I've hit a wall on how TSM can pass a
>list of volumes to the checkout command . Here is an example of my script :

Lee - I faced the same thing in implementing our "poor man's DRM", and
      after a lot of brain-wracking came up with the solution of having
our morning administration Server Script dynamically create, plant, and
execute a subsidiary Server Script to do the deed, like:

-------------------------------------
/* Get the volname of that backup and create a secondary script to eject it...
*/
/* Get the volname of that backup and create a secondary script to eject it...
*/
Query DRMedia DBBackup=Yes COPYstgpool=NONE BEGINDate=TODAY Format=Cmd -
 CMd="CHECKOut LIBVolume OurLibName &VOL CHECKLabel=No REMove=Yes"
CMDFilename=/tmp/ADSM-DBB-EJECT-SCRIPT APPend=No
if (RC_OK) goto query_drm_eject_ok

DEFine CLIENTAction OurNode ACTion=Command -
 OBJects='mail -s "Query DRMedia failed for todays dbbackup"
adsm-admin@OurFairCity </dev/null >/dev/null'
goto query_drm_eject_bottom

query_drm_eject_ok:

DELete SCRipt TEMP-DBB-EJECT-SCRIPT
DEFine SCRipt TEMP-DBB-EJECT-SCRIPT File=/tmp/ADSM-DBB-EJECT-SCRIPT
RUn TEMP-DBB-EJECT-SCRIPT

query_drm_eject_bottom:
Note that you don't have to have DRM to use Query DRMedia: it's one of
Note that you don't have to have DRM to use Query DRMedia: it's one of
those generally exploitable resources, which came in handy for us.

   Richard Sims, BU