ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB/Disk Pool - Disk tuning question

2001-08-30 13:17:40
Subject: Re: TSM DB/Disk Pool - Disk tuning question
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:19:54 -0400
Locking is usually done for as little time as possible, so even if multiple
sessions are sharing a volume, I don't think that's a "really bad
thing".  Presumably TSM follows the goal of minimal locking as well.  I'm
guessing that by having more smaller volumes, you may be avoiding some TSM
locking issues, but incurring more physical-level locking (in the OS)
instead.  Whenever any shared resource is used, locking must be
employed.  If you've got lots of small virtual volumes spread across larger
physical volumes, then you may be doing less locking at the virtual volume
layer, and more at the physical volume layer.  Is one more efficient than
the other?  I have no idea.
..Paul