ADSM-L

Aggregates and transactions

2001-08-29 11:29:47
Subject: Aggregates and transactions
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:29:35 -0500
Does TSM use batched aggregrates or some such when making copypool copies?

Specifically, I have "MoveSizeThresh" set to 200 MB on my TSM server.  When
I backup the primary storage pools to the copypool, is the data sent in 200
MB chunks (subject to override by "TxnGroupMax")?

I ask because in the course of troubleshooting our HP DLT library, the HP
tech said that modern drives are so fast that older servers - like my F50 -
can't keep up, and that causes what HP calls "shoe-shining" of the drives.
The frequent stop/start cycles burn up the drives and they say they're
seeing it in their LTO drives as well.

My thought is that the batched data should partially mitigate that by
stretching out the intervals between the start and subsequent stop.

Is this how it really works?

TSM 4.1.4 on AIX 4.3.3 on 7025 F50.

Thanks.

Tab Trepagnier