ADSM-L

Re: Long, long, long backup sessions

2001-08-24 11:48:06
Subject: Re: Long, long, long backup sessions
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:49:28 -0400
>The time it takes to backup our e-mail servers (4-way processor H70 AIX
>4.3.3 with 2GB RAM. TSM client is 4.1.2.0) is becoming unacceptable and
>unworkable.
>Yes, I understand the LARGE amount of OBJECTS INSPECTED is an issue. But,
>the current data tells me it took over 8-hours from the start of the
>schedule to when it actually transfered any data from the client to the
>server (OS390 TSM 4.1.3).

Zoltan - With over 8 million files, getting the file list from the
         server before backup data transfer is obviously a big factor.
Incrbydate will help somewhat, and is worth trying one night.
The client system may have 2 GB of real memory, but much of that may
already be tied up, as I'd expect it to be busy as a mail server.
AIX monitoring would show that.

If you haven't already, review "Backup performance" in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts to have a look at that
variety of factors, including TSM server db caching, as it may be
taking too long to provide the file list to the client.
Look also for any indications of I/O contention or retries on the
server disk due to soft I/O errors, which will slow retrieval.