ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.2 client and UNICODE

2001-08-23 19:04:51
Subject: Re: TSM 4.2 client and UNICODE
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 02:06:23 +0300
Zoltan,

Your posts ARE getting through. But you cannot force anybody to answer you
you can ask your colleagues for help hoping that they would. If someone
CAN help and WANTS to help you will get some answer based on his/her
expertise.
At least I got all your mailings even the re-post.

Trying to answer to your UNICODE question:
Most probably your problem is caused not by UNICODE but by server upgrade.
In this list we have seen many posting about DB and STGPOOL usage growing
after upgrade with appropriate corrective actions suggested in answers. Try
them and see will this help.
Also try the latest-latest client "final Golden Edition of the V4.2.0
Windows client" dated 15-th of July.

According to Tivoli statements
(http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/compatibility.html):
      "Data that has been backed up from a Tivoli Storage Manager Version
4.2 client to any Tivoli Storage Manager server can be restored using a
Tivoli Storage Manager Version 4.1 client, with the exceptions of the
Windows Version 4.2 client and any Version 4.2 clients using encryption. "
      "A Tivoli Storage Manager Version 4.2 client can perform backup,
restore, archive and retrieve functions to a Tivoli Storage Manager Version
4.1 server. "
BUT be aware that for the latest v4.2.0 client there is a strict statement
(ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/client/v4r2/Windows/WinNT/v420/TSM420GA_READ1STC.TXT)
:
"  - Data that has been backed up or archived from this V4.2 Tivoli Storage
Manager client cannot be restored or retrieved to any previous level
client, regardless of the server level. The data must be restored or
retrieved by a 4.2.0 level or higher client."

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU> on 23.08.2001 19:41:56