ADSM-L

Re: TSM Bare Restore AIX Different Arch

2001-08-23 06:40:17
Subject: Re: TSM Bare Restore AIX Different Arch
From: Dave Z <Dave.Zarnoch AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 06:41:36 -0400
Steve,

Excellent idea!

Keep me updated...

Thanks!

DaveZ

                    Steve Harris
                    <[email protected]        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                    LD.GOV.AU>                    cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist          Subject:     Re: TSM Bare
Restore AIX Different Arch
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    08/22/2001 09:06 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Dave,

This is a pet peeve of mine.  I have a small SP cluster, and I don't
understand why there isn't a simple way to recover from a generic mksysb
image and TSM, since TSM contains all of the data.

I've tried using the alt_disk_install functionality but always ended up
with a corrupt ODM and eventually ran out of patience with it.

If anyone would like to contribute to an AIX Bare Metal Restore working
group, Email me privately. The objective would be to restore an up to date
AIX rootvg from a standard TSM file level backup using only the appropriate
AIX cdrom and TSM Client media on a machine with two bootable disks
(ideally one but lets start with two).

Regards

Steve

Steve Harris AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Dave Z <Dave.Zarnoch AT SUNGARD DOT COM> 23/08/2001 0:42:22 >>>
Folks,

I apologize if this is a FAQ....

(I cannot find a "complete" documented procedure)

:0(

Currently, we use the following procedure to restore systems:

1) Restore the OS using the "cloaner" method as published by IBM:
   a) Boot off of the AIX installation media
   b) Restore system from tape (mksysb)
  (This allows you to recover the OS to dissimilar hardware)
2) Reconstruct the network (including the TSM backup network).
3) Restore all application data (and system data if needed) via TSM.

This methodology does not support a true DR test as our mksysb tapes are
not cut regularly or vaulted.

Unfortunately we do not have a solution that allows us to cut bootable AIX
tapes on a regular basis.  (Not all of the systems have local tape drives.
The procedure can not be automated. etc.)

In the future we must restore all RS/6000s with only our vaulted
installation media (OS and TSM) as well as our vaulted TSM tapes.  Due to
this we must develop procedures for a total bare metal restore of an
RS/6000 using only the OS installation media, TSM backup tapes, and any
relevant TSM disaster recovery reports.

We would like to develop a procedure that details the recovery of a generic
RS/6000 using only installation media, TSM backup, and disaster recovery
reports.

Ideas/Things to consider:

We can not assume that we will recover systems to identical hardware.  As
such we can not simply install a base OS and restore.
 What system files (/etc/passwd, /etc/hosts, etc...) are relevant to the
recovery of the system.
 What system files should not be recovered?  (I.e. kernel, driver specific,
etc.)

Can anyone help with any existing procedures or point me in the proper
direction?

Thanks!

DaveZ

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.