ADSM-L

script for 3590 tape drive users

2001-08-22 19:11:19
Subject: script for 3590 tape drive users
From: "Sandor W. Sklar" <ssklar AT STANFORD DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:12:21 -0700
Hi, Folks ...

I've put together a script that might be of use for people who use
IBM 3590 tape drives with AIX systems.  You may or may not be aware
that these tape drives post messages (SIMs and MIMs) to the OS with
drive and media status information (some notices, some indications of
problems).  These messages, which AIX puts in the error log, are a
bit difficult to parse and interpret.

The script I wrote, "cinnamon", works as an error notification object
that is called whenever one of these messages is posted  to the error
log (identifier D1A1AE6F).  It parses the sense data into "English"
and mails the output to a specified user.

More information, documentation, and the script itself can be found
at <http://whippet.stanford.edu/~ssklar/aix/cinnamon/>.  I hope that
this is useful to someone, and if anyone has ideas for improvements,
I'd love to hear them.

--Sandy
sandor w. sklar                |    Non impediti
sandor w. sklar                |    Non impediti
unix systems administrator     |         ratione
stanford university itss-css   |    cogitationis