ADSM-L

Re: Terminated sessions

2001-08-21 11:12:10
Subject: Re: Terminated sessions
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:12:56 -0500
Geoffrey,

The "switch" is this...

The Unix clients include processing option "ARCHSYMLinkasfile Yes/No".  Our
Unix CAD server is the hub of our engineering infrastructure.  It has links
to the various CAD workstations that themselves have links back to the CAD
server.  Before the introduction of that option in 3.1.0.7, what would
happen is the client would ping-pong between links and generate archives
to:
/dir1/myfile
/dir2 (on workstation)/dir1/myfile
/dir1/dir2/dir1/myfile
/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/myfile
just looping away until either the max path length was reached or the
recovery log hit 100% and the server fell over dead.  Not good.

By setting that to "No" *SM treats the link file as just another file and
eliminates that ridiculous behavior.  Then all you have to do is clean up
your prior archives that are so crapped up that expiration takes forever if
you don't include the "Skipdirs=Yes" option.

If each archive client is different then you're right, there is no
opportunity to group them.  Then it becomes a question of where you want to
focus your archive job management: lots of individual archive schedules
with embedded properties, or lots of individual archive batch files with
embedded properties.  Since it's six of one, half-dozen of the other it's
pretty much whatever you're confortable with.

Tab

"Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on
08/21/2001
09:59:08 AM