ADSM-L

Re: Mixed tapes in a 3494 library

2001-08-21 07:37:57
Subject: Re: Mixed tapes in a 3494 library
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 07:39:19 -0400
>We are planning to use a mix of short and long length 3590 tapes in a single
>3494 library.  Some storage pools will use the short tapes for a 20gb capacity,
>others will use the long 40gb capacity.
>
>Is it possible to have two types of scratch tapes existing in the same library,
>or must we choose one length of tape for the scratch pool and staticly assign
>tapes to the other stgpools?
>
>Has anyone done this sort of thing, or have any thoughts on the subject?

Mike - I went through the same thing, and found it impossible.
       The problem is that the ADSM definitions boil down to having to
dedicate drives to each scratch Category, which is not a viable option
for most of us with finite budgets.  I'm not aware of any recent TSM
changes which would allow for problemless dynamic sharing of 3590 drives
in a 3494 library.  (I tried it as an experiment, and the resulting
collisions made for a very ugly mess.)  I ended up back with a single
scratch category for 3590 J and K tapes, and used Define Volume to
assign Js to offsite and other, lesser tasks.

  Richard Sims, BU