ADSM-L

Re: Restoring to a different NT client

2001-08-20 14:15:19
Subject: Re: Restoring to a different NT client
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:16:29 -0400
Quoting "<James> <healy>" <James.Healy2 AT AXACS DOT COM>:

> We are attempting to move some of our old NT 4 clients data to new
> Win2k clustered servers. When attempting to restor the data from one
> box to the new one we're seeing some wied problems.
> Can anyone tell me the method they would use to do this successfully?

We ran into some problems with cross-system restores because of
differences between the Unix and Windows client software. When we
wanted, for example, to restore data backed up from /opt on one Unix
system to /opt on another Unix system, we used the virtualnodename
option and specified a restore to the original location. The first
time we tried the analogous operation with two Windows NT systems
we were very surprised when the restore ended and there were no new
files in the target folder. It turned out that the file names TSM
stores for Windows files include the system name. A typical name
would be "\\system1\c$\Winnt\Explorer.exe". If we tried to restore
this file to system2 and specified a restore to the original location,
system2 would atempt to fetch the file from the TSM server and use
Windows disk sharing facilities to write it to the C disk on system1.
If the user running dsm on system2 had sufficient privleges on system1
the Explorer.exe file on system1 would in fact be overwritten by the
restored file.