ADSM-L

IBM LTO Tape Library problems

2001-08-20 13:37:57
Subject: IBM LTO Tape Library problems
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:37:01 -0400
We are having IBM come in Friday and give us a presentation on IBM
3583/3584 LTO libraries.  I know some of you have had problems in recent
months with these (mainly problems with the tape drives as I recall) in that
you were getting slow or VERY slow operation (maybe only with lots of
small files).  There seemed to be q flurry of microcode updates that solved
some or all of the problems.

I wanted to get an update from the people that were having problems.

1.  Have all the problems been solved?  Did latest microcode solve them?

2.  Were the problems just with one *SM function (reclamation) or with any
*SM tape operation?

3.  What are the remaining problems with tape drives/library operation with
*SM, if any?

Thanks in advance,

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 08/20/01 13:43:53
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.