ADSM-L

Re: how to EXPIRE UNIX files from unmounted/deleted file system

2001-08-16 14:25:33
Subject: Re: how to EXPIRE UNIX files from unmounted/deleted file system
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:25:47 -0400
Nope.  The files are actually marked as INACTIVE by the client running the
backup.
When the backup starts, the first thing that happens (on a normal
incremental backup) is the server sends down the list of what got backed up
last time, so the client can compare with what it finds in the file
system/directory now.  Files that no longer exist are marked inactive.  So
if you can't run a backup on the filesystem, those files will never go
inactive.

What we do is run a script periodically to produce a list of all the
filespaces that haven't been backed up in 6 months, and also have the script
generate the appropriate DELETE FILESPACE commands which we can run after
doing a sanity check on the list.  And we make THAT part of our SOP.

Hope that helps...

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert