ADSM-L

Re: backing up only 1 directory on Windows

2001-08-14 22:42:37
Subject: Re: backing up only 1 directory on Windows
From: Andrew Raibeck <araibeck AT US.TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:42:56 -0700
Hmmmmm... I'm surprised you didn't get a syntax error on the "include.dir"
statement, as that is not a supported option.

The following isn't pretty, but it might do what you need:

   * Exclude all files in root of each drive.
   exclude *:\*

   * Exclude all directories on all drives other than C:.
   exclude.dir [abd-z]:\*

   * Exclude all directories on C: except for C:\Users.
   exclude.dir c:\[a-tv-z0-9]*
   exclude.dir c:\U[a-rt-z0-9]*
   exclude.dir c:\Us[a-df-z0-9]*
   exclude.dir c:\Use[a-qs-z0-9]*
   exclude.dir c:\User[a-rt-z0-9]*
   exclude.dir c:\Users?*

This should catch most of the stuff. If you use other characters in
directory names, you can stick them between the square brackets as well.
For example, to prevent backing up a hypothetical directory named
C:\user$, you could rewrite the EXCLUDE.DIRs as:

   exclude.dir C:\[a-tv-z0-9$]*
   exclude.dir C:\U[a-rt-z0-9$]*
   ...etc.

Then C:\Users and its files and subdirectories will be backed up by
default.

If you want to add a little extra protection, you could do this:

   * Exclude all files except C:\Users and its subdirectories.
   exclude *:\...\*
   include c:\users\...\*

   * Exclude all directories on all drives other than C:.
   exclude.dir [abd-z]:\*

   * Exclude all directories on C: except for C:\Users.
   exclude.dir c:\[a-tv-z0-9$]*
   exclude.dir c:\U[a-rt-z0-9$]*
   exclude.dir c:\Us[a-df-z0-9$]*
   exclude.dir c:\Use[a-qs-z0-9$]*
   exclude.dir c:\User[a-rt-z0-9$]*
   exclude.dir c:\Users?*

Then if someone slips in a name similar to C:\Users, but with a character
not covered in the list between the brackets (C:\User%, for example), at
least only the directory structure will be backed up, but not the files.

Yes, an include.dir option would be nice...

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Tivoli Systems
e-mail: araibeck AT us.ibm DOT com

The command line is your friend.

Joel Fuhrman <joelf AT CAC.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
08/14/2001 18:35