ADSM-L

TSM 4.2 client and UNICODE

2001-08-14 16:06:16
Subject: TSM 4.2 client and UNICODE
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:12:02 -0400
I was just bitten by the UNICODE issue ("fioScanDirEntry(): Can't map
object") with the TSM 4.2 client and a W2K server client.  I did not
realize there was a requirement to use the 4.2 client  that also required
the 4.2 server (no, I cannot install the TSM 4.2 server on OS390. Since it
is a COST upgrade, I could not justfy it. The only way I got to 4.1.3 was
because 3.1 had long expired).

In fact, I thing the UNICODE issue has caused this client to go from 4-5GB
backup to over 20GB (I canceled it after I saw all the errors in the
DSMERROR.LOG file as well as the numerous blank and screwy entries in the
DSMSCHED.LOG file).

No, I can not ask the server owner to turn off UNICODE support since this
is a university (note the "versity" part, as in "diversity").

Any way to get around this issue ?   So far, the only thing I can figure
is going back to the 4.1.3 client.

Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University
University Computing Center