ADSM-L

Re: Client Backup Issue

2001-08-14 07:39:55
Subject: Re: Client Backup Issue
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:40:41 -0400
>In the schedule settings, you should change the OBJECTS from:
>
>   C:\TSM Backup

>   C:\TSM Backup\
>
>unless you only want to back up the single file or directory named "TSM
>Backup", but I doubt that is what you want.

Andy - I have to ask: why does the software require customers to add
       a slash or backslash (depending upon architecture type) to the
end of a specification for the client to know that the object is a
directory?  As a programmer, I would write the software to simply test
for the actual object being a directory or not, rather than silently
fail to process the directory.  That is, if the customer said to back
up XYZ, I would do so upon discovering the existence of the object,
be it a file or directory.

The slash-backslash requirement is counter-intuitive for customers in
general, where operating system commands never require adding a special
character to the end of a spec to say that the object is a directory:
such commands simply proceed to honor the invoker's request and process
the object as found.  This special TSM requirement needlessly confuses
many customers, and is a pet peeve with the product.

  Richard Sims, BU