ADSM-L

Re: !!!Novell Client Stability!!!!

2001-08-11 12:14:18
Subject: Re: !!!Novell Client Stability!!!!
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 11:15:14 -0500
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:14:56 +0100, you wrote:
>I agree with your definitions of stability.
>
>The clients are netware 5.0 server with SP6.
>The TSM client version is 4.1.2.13
>The TSM Server Version is on level 4.1.3 (OS: NT 4.0 Server with SP5)
>
>The 1st costumer has currently 8 Netware clients and it is planned to include
>further 15 clients
>The 2nd costumer has currently 3 Netware clients and it is planned to include
>further 15 clients

I have found in my consulting experience that the version of Netware
and the versions of the TSM server/client combination make little
difference. The problem lay with the Novell TSA and SMDR modules.

Novell has a history of updating the functionality of TSA and SMDR,
and then neglecting to tell third-party vendors of Netware
applications about said changes. The results wreck havoc not only on
TSM, but on most other backup/recovery systems, such as ArcServe and
Legato.

Your best bet is to get *the* most up-to-date TSA and SMDR modules,
both of which can be found (currently) within TSA5UP6.