ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SQL Server

2001-08-10 16:10:05
Subject: Re: TDP for SQL Server
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:10:46 -0400
Quoting Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>:

> Look here:
>
>   Product:     Tivoli Data Protection for Microsoft SQL
>   FTP Site:    ftp.software.ibm.com
>   Directory:
> /storage/tivoli-storage-management/patches/agents/ntsql/1.1.2/
>   File:        IC26111_01.EXE
>   Version:     1.1.2.01
>
> This version will skip "tempdb" for SQL 7 servers.
> The new version, TDP for SQL 2.2.0 also skips "tempdb".

I downloaded the file mentioned above and ran it on a Windows NT 4
system. The file unpacked itself into a temporary folder and then
displayed two dialog boxes indicating the it had not been able to
execute "d:\wintemp\pft51~tmp\Disk1\Setup.exe /sws". I followed a
link from Tivoli's Web site to a slightly earlier patch and got
similar results. The FTP site with the latter patch also had a
variant of the patch that stopped after unpacking itself, leaving
it to the user to start setup.exe. I downloaded the variant. It
unpacked itself without reporting any errors. When I attempted to
execute setup.exe from a command prompt I got the message "The
system cannot execute the specified program." As far as I could
tell, none of the failures wrote anything in the various logs
maintained by Windows NT. I did a Web search for the message and
found a number of reports of the same message in connection with
a variety of software products. Most of the reports mentioned
attempts to use 16 bit code. I opened a "Properties" dialog box
for setup.exe and clicked on the version tab. I saw, among other
things, "Description: 16-bit Setup Launcher." I won't pretend to
understand why a product that is only supported on Windows NT and
Windows 2000 has 16 bit installation code. Is there any way to
get the install process to work?