ADSM-L

Re: Feeing TSM

2001-08-10 12:02:48
Subject: Re: Feeing TSM
From: Thierry ITTY <thierry.itty AT BESANCON DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:02:48 -0400
A 17:21 10/08/01 +0200, vous avez écrit :
>Hi *SMers.
>I would like to know if any of you have an idea of which parameters I
>should consider about feeing customers using TSM.
>I mean what do I have to consider if I want to charge them for using
>TSM?
>How do you charge for the amount of data on tapes or diskpool and for
>the retention time of each file? Or maybe by the number of nodes?
>What about the response time in case of a restore?
>Should I consider the bandwith of the network?
>what about the people supporting TSM?
>How can I establish limits to the amount of data each customer can
>backup? And what about the charges for each, lets say, MB of data extra
>backed up?

it depends on what you want them to pay for and how complex you agree your
computing to be

suppose your costs are :

1 system manager full time job - annual salary say $80K

1 server machine + os + tms server licence - costs $60K - renewed every 3
years - annual cost $20K - add maintenance $8K - total annual $28K

1 automated library - costs $250K - renewed every 10 years - annual cost
$25K - add maintenance $15K - total annual $40K

1000 tapes (say magstar) - $40 each - $40K total - renewed every 10 years -
annual cost $4K

first case : all users share more or less the server in a fair share. do
the total and divide by the number of users. example : for 500 users, total
80+28+40+4 = 152 / 500 ca $300/user/year

second case : some users have much more needs in storage than other. or
they are much more boring. or whatever else... then compute each cost with
a weighting factor. example with 500 users :

10 are really boring users. they need the system manager half of his time.
so for those 10 users, each has to pay $4K/year for the system manager. the
490 other only pay 40.000 / 490 ca $100.

50 are really big space consumers. they use half of the storage. so they
will pay half of the library and half of the tapes, that is (40.000/2 +
4000/2) / 50 ca $400 each. the 450 others will pay the rest, (40.000/2 +
4000/2)/450 ca $50 each

all use the cpu identically so they all pay the same for it 28.000/500 ca $55

so you will have boring and consuming users paying 4.000 + 400 + 50 = $4450
per year, some boring but not consuming users paying 4000 + 50 + 50 = $4100
per year, some not boring but consuming ... 100 + 400 + 50 = $550... and
the main part 100 + 50 + 50 = $200

i don't need to explain that if you include cpu load, network bandwidth,
disk staging area and so on, it will really be very hard to compute something.

my advice is to consider which costs must be paid by *sm clients (we didn't
consider air conditionning or dc power or floor surface and so on), then,
unless they are major differences between the clients, divide the total in
equal parts.

or ask your book keepers whether they can find an "unit" of consumption
that will be a fair indicator of consumption. we use either (single unit
system or equal parts)

my english may have reached some limitations in this mail so don't worry if
you don't understand everything ;-)
Si nous avons chacun un objet et que nous les echangeons,
   nous avons encore chacun un objet.
Si nous avons chacun une idee et que nous les echangeons,
   nous avons alors chacun deux idees.

Thierry ITTY
eMail : Thierry.Itty AT Besancon DOT org               FRANCE