ADSM-L

what does unloaddb/loaddb do about multiple mount needs????

2001-08-07 19:40:30
Subject: what does unloaddb/loaddb do about multiple mount needs????
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 16:41:15 -0700
Well if you've been following along you know I have a new 3466-C01

I've made a test snap shot of my current TSM DB running there
and while I'm waiting to do it 'for real' on this coming w/e
I thought I'd 'kill' time doing a dry run of possible scenarios.

So I am now trying to do an UNLOADDB and it seems to stall out
at about when I suspect its gotten to the end of a 3590 cartridge.
(1+ hours)   What does TSM-UNLOADDB do?? What should I expect???

Its the 4.1.3 TSM that's shipped with new 3466's.  I've done a BACKUP
 DB / DSMSERV RESTORE DB / DSMSERV UPGRADE DB and have brought it
up and seen it 'running.'  I have 3494 with 3590s that co-exist with
my  current (old) 3466 production box. (I use online=no over there)

I'm using ADSMULOG to capture the output and give me the ability to
monitor this from outside the machine room.  Could there be unload
mount requests I'm missing because of that?

I tried the first couple times with one  of two drives offline and
the other one online.  I got a complaint about that but it continued with
the one drive that was online.  and I figured it would just use the
other drive for the whole thing.  Is that not the case???

I have defined a couple of scratch tapes in this new/test system and in
using the scratch=no and volume=a,b,c it gladly picked a from this list
and using the 3494 mounted that first tape.

BUT I'm pretty sure it stalls on the end-of-tape condition.
I'm now trying with the offline drive deleted so that it thinks there's
only one tape drive for use.  And it still stalls.

What's the trick to UNLOADDB??   Patiencence???

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
   joef AT socrates.berkeley DOT edu