ADSM-L

Re: Query report

2001-08-07 19:19:26
Subject: Re: Query report
From: "Walker, Lesley R" <lesley.walker AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:20:02 +1200
Mike Anderson wrote:
>         I have a group that wants the following information for their
> backups: Client name, the start time of the backup,
>             end time of the backup,  and any files that
> missed. I tried to
> show them the schedule log, but this was not
>            clean enough for them. Anybody have any ideas? The
> TSM server is
> AIX 4.3.3 the client nodes are NT 4.0

I see two options, depending on whether you want to produce this report on
the client or on the server.

1. Use Perl or perhaps VB to process the schedlog and produce
   what they want.  This would probably be done on the client,
   as a scheduled job.  Information about Perl for NT can be
   found at http://www.cpan.org/ports/index.html#win32

2. Use an SQL query on the summary table.  This doesn't give the
   names of failed files, but it does say how many, which could
   then trigger a business process to investigate.  The query
   would be something like:

   select entity as node, -
      substr(cast((start_time) as varchar(26)),12,8) as started, -
      substr(cast((end_time) as varchar(26)),12,8) as ended, -
      failed as files_failed -
      from summary -
      where substr(cast((start_time) as varchar(26)),1,10) -
         = substr(cast((current_timestamp) as varchar(26)),1,10) -
      and activity='BACKUP'

   This gives you information about today's backups.  It works
   in my situation because backups start after midnight.
   Your mileage may vary.

--
Lesley Walker
Lesley Walker