ADSM-L

bufpoolsize and AIX

2001-08-03 16:12:31
Subject: bufpoolsize and AIX
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:13:28 -5
Our bufpool hit ratio has been running in the mid 90% and I would
like to increase it's size.  Currently, it's set to:

   dsmserv.opt: BUFPoolsize 1048576

Our tsm server is a hand-me-down with lots of memory - 12GB.  I
decided to double the bufpoolsize parm to 2048576.  When I tried to
start tsm it complained that it couldn't acquire this memory and
failed to start.  I tried to set it to just a few hundred mb more,
but had the same result.  I finally just put it back to the origional
value and got our server up and running.

The doc states that the limit on the bufpoolsize parm is the size of
your virtual memory.  I'm well under that!

Any idea what limit I might be hitting?  I think I must be hitting an
AIX (4.3.3) limit of some kind.

Thanks

Rick