ADSM-L

Re: Recovery Log size / roll forward benefits

2001-08-03 03:52:02
Subject: Re: Recovery Log size / roll forward benefits
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:54:02 +0100
I agree with Paul, it is pretty rare - but it can happen.  You can't
guarantee to prevent software or hardware corruption : you just have
to plan the recovery path ...

The last corruption I had was on a (pretty large) test DB when trying
to see the impact of a problem I had at 3.7 (live) on the 4.1 (test)
DB.  Well, the 4.1 DB got corrupted, the server crashed and it wouldn't
restart - I won't bore you with the details.  The point is, I was able
to recover the DB using the last FULL, INCRs and recovery log.  This
level of protection is essential for us.

Like Paul, we have also had problems with the recovery log filling up
too quickly (as well as the occasional 'pinned' logtail).  Recently,
we have escaped by the skin of our teeth when the recovery log hit 99%
and the triggered INCR could not complete fast enough ( - trigger now
lowered and we split expire inventory into a twice weekly run).  I too
have reservations about the 13GB log (although we certainly intend to
use it) and I have been looking at timings for triggered INCRs; 13GB
may take rather a long time ...

Regards, Sheelagh
--
Sheelagh Treweek