ADSM-L

Re: 3466 Migration: ya pays ya money and ya gets nothing.

2001-08-02 12:30:38
Subject: Re: 3466 Migration: ya pays ya money and ya gets nothing.
From: Jeffrey Renicker <renicker AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:29:31 -0400
Your procedures look OK, but there are a couple of things you
should be aware of that might bite ya.

The volume names for the diskpool are kept in the database
  so you'll need create them on the new server before
  starting the TSM server.  Your idea of deleting them from
  the current system before doing the database backup might
  be good from the standpoint of not needing the same volume
  names on the new system.

In the past I've had problems with migration not catching
  all the files.  I once had a 60 byte file (yep, 60 bytes)
  still sitting on a diskpool volume after migration had finished.
  I just ran a "move data" command and all was well.  You might
  want to do a "query content" on each of the diskpool volumes
  after migration is done just to make sure you got everything.

After running db restores for disaster recovery tests I've never
  had a problem rebuilding a TSM (or ADSM) server on a "foreign"
  system.  As long as you have the same volume names for the database,
  recovery log, and diskpools you should be alright.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Renicker

                    Joe Faracchio
                    <brother AT socrates DOT Ber       To:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    keley.EDU>                  cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist        Subject:     3466 Migration: ya
pays ya money and ya gets nothing.
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    08/01/01 07:53 PM
                    Please respond to Joe
                    Faracchio

<-snip_>

>My tentative plans now are:
>
> take the system 'off the air' for my users,
> run backup stg tapepool copypool
>    backup stg diskpool copypool
> do a migration diskpool to tapepool
> (turning off collocation to expedite) down to zero.
> backup db to a 3590  (twice)
> attach the 3494 to the new system
> take db tape over to the new 3466 and do a restore db.
> dsmserv upgradedb (to adjust the 3.7.2 to be 4.1.x useable)
> return to production with a new system!!!

<-snip->