ADSM-L

Re: Updated Last Access Times - NT client/McAfee/Outbound files

2001-08-01 11:09:47
Subject: Re: Updated Last Access Times - NT client/McAfee/Outbound files
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 08:10:30 -0700
Hi, Richard.  That was a piece of information that I didn't include.  That's
funny, seeing as how it's the crux of the problem.  Sorry about that.

What I am experiencing on my fileserver is that 3 million files (75%) have
last access times that coincide with the backup window.  Only about 50,000
files are actually backed up.  That's 2,950,000 files that were inspected
and had access times updated but weren't back up.

The client doesn't normally update access times on inspection.  We're only
seeing this behavior when Outbound file scanning is enabled for McAfee on
that server, and only when we're running our normal backup.  When we do a
small backup, say, of a single directory, and when we do the normal backup
with Outbound disabled, we don't see this.

Thanks,
Alex