ADSM-L

ANR1163 / 1173

2001-07-31 11:43:24
Subject: ANR1163 / 1173
From: George Lesho <GLesho AT AFCE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:47:40 -0500
%smers:
Early on, I learned that a bad tape in a primary storage pool had a big
effect on a secondary pool so I became cautious when resolving problems
with media. I have had problems with tapes used in my 3575L32. Over the
past year, I have had 21 tapes with excessive media errors which have had
to be removed from our inventory (out of approximately 500 tapes in the
inventory). I now do a "move data" to get what I can and then bring back
the copypool tape from vault storage (restore stgp) to fill out the
remaining data that needs to be recopied into the primary tape pool to make
it consistant with the copy tapepool. Having said that, I recently and all
at once, received errors on 11 volumes in the vault; ANR1163 / 1173
indicating that there were files on the vault versions that were unique.
After a year of operation, I had only had this problem once or twice and I
had caused it by not restoring the storage pool after partially moving the
data from a bad volume...

My question: What could or would cause this spate of errors? Could the data
base be corrupted? Many of the filesets are recent and do not correspond to
a primary copypool tape that was taken out of service due to errors... any
hints would be
appreciated.

Thanks -
George Lesho