ADSM-L

Re: Teaching others TSM

2001-07-30 18:23:19
Subject: Re: Teaching others TSM
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:23:29 -0500
Francisco,

I found that good company-specific documentation is a must; as is an
enthusiastic student!

I inherited ADSM from a former employee who gave me a brief overview of the
physical layout of the system.  When the main library failed, and ADSM fell
over dead pretending to be a trainwreck, I was totally lost.  The ADSM Tech
Support folks spent *hours* on the phone with my helping dig out of those
problems (note to ADSM Tech Support - thank you VERY much!).

Fast forward three years and I've had to teach the system to my co-workers.
This is what I rely upon beyond the Tivoli documentation:
a "data flow" diagram that show where the data comes from and where it
goes.
an "operations" procedure that describes *in detail* how to perform the
routine tape handling tasks.
a "daily surveillance" procedure that describes *in detail* how to check
the health of the system and what to do if it isn't healty.

Good luck.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation