ADSM-L

Re: Backup Scheduling

2001-07-26 20:14:26
Subject: Re: Backup Scheduling
From: Steve Harris <STEVE_HARRIS AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:18:11 +1000
Randall,

You can get a full backup by running a "selective" rather than "incremental",
however there is another way if you are willing to sacrifice the exact day on
which a full backup is done.

Specify a FREQUENCY parameter of say 30 days in the copygroup for these files.
Then run your daily incrementals. Any file that changes will be backed up, and
any file that hasn't been backed up in 30 days will also be backed up again.
Provided you stagger your implementation, this should prove as effective as a
monthly full.

There is a caveat in that if you manage retention by number of versions rather
than by retention period, each selective or backup due to frequency will push
the oldest retained version off the list and it will no longer be available. It
will probably make no difference, but you should be aware.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Randal L Riedinger <Randal.L.Riedinger AT GRC.NASA DOT GOV> 27/07/2001
>>> 3:41:19 >>>
I'm new to TSM and I am setting up a system for the first time.  We
have around 4,000 desk top systems and 200 servers.  Most of the
desk top systems will have weekly backups of a selected directory tree. The
rest will have monthly full backups and daily incrementals. We have
10/100 Ethernet to most of the systems and FDDI to some of the servers.
We currently have a 100 bps FDDI backbone linking the routers but we are
upgrading to 1GB Ethernet.  The TSM server has 1GB Ethernet off of
the new backbone.  We can do the small full backups on week nights and
the large ones over the week end.  The weekly backups will need to
be staggered through out the month.  If a full backup fails it needs to
be rescheduled for some number of retries with notification of the failures.
How do I do this?  My next question is how do I set up the schedules?  I can
visualize defining 7 weekly schedules for each day of the week and 31 monthly
schedules for each day of the month and associating the nodes to them.  Is
there
a better way to do this?  What do you have to do to get a full backup
verses an
incremental?