ADSM-L

Re: Backup Scheduling

2001-07-26 14:21:07
Subject: Re: Backup Scheduling
From: Francisco Reyes <lists AT NATSERV DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:23:11 -0400
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Randal L Riedinger wrote:

> We can do the small full backups on week nights and
> the large ones over the week end.

Although you can force "full" backups I recommend you only do incremental
backups. The TSM server will only backup what has changed since it's last
backup, yet have a complete set of data available for restores. There is
no need to backup ALL your data every time.

>The weekly backups will need to be staggered through out the month.

I think what you wrote above is not exactly correct. If these "weekly"
backups need to be scattered, it would be througout the week, not month.
Otherwise these are monthly backups not weekly.
You could just set 3 groups and distribute your clients amongst these 3
groups. I recommend against going crazy and creating 7 events. TSM has a
number of facilities to control how many processes and when they are run.
For instance you can specify you only want up to 20 processes running.
Your 3 sessions will all be set to the same time and you can specify a
window when the jobs can start of 4 hours. TSM does some level of
randomization so not all jobs actually start at the same time, then as the
different times are trigered only as many jobs as the max you defined will
start. The other jobs will wait until jobs complete as long as the window
specified has not elapsed.

> If a full backup fails it needs to
> be rescheduled for some number of retries with notification of the failures.

There are 3 modes of backup. Look at the online help when defining the
backup types. I don't recall the names but basically you can set them to
not backup open files (I think name of one is static), try to backup open
files at the end of the backup run and retry up to a number of retries
which you can specify and lastly you can tell TSM to backup the files
regardless of whether they are open.