ADSM-L

Re: Tape volume list ?

2001-07-26 13:28:45
Subject: Re: Tape volume list ?
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:29:10 -0400
I agree with the other comments mode so far on this, you can't keep
track of ALL volumes.  There is one thing you can do to help some
though.  Instead of having just a batch of SCRATCH volumes, you
can assign emopty violumes to a specific STGPOOL with the DEF VOL
command.  I haven't used but I believe they won't go back to scratch
when empty and you may be able to query them with Q commands.

This would only be if you can reasonably know how many volumes are
needed for each of your SEQ STG POOLS.  You would still need some
as SCRATCH for DB BACKUPS, I don't think they can be assigned.

Just another thought.

David Longo

>>> stvernaillen AT GE.COKECCE DOT COM 07/26/01 05:35AM >>>
Hi again Matthew ;)

The thing is that i'm not interested in the Storage pool volumes or volumes
in the library,...
I want to know ALL volumes.
Also the DB backups, the scratch tapes in the desk of the Media team, ...
Basicly every tape that has ever been labeled on that server.

How else do you know what label to give to a new tape ?
I know I've labeled tape ec0001 through eC0100, but if a colleague wants to
label ten more, how does he know they have to be ec0101 to ec0110 if q
vol,.. shows the highest volume in use, or the library to be ec0071 ?

Is there a way to do that ?

Stan

Matthew Large <matthew.large AT PHOENIXSM DOT COM> on 25/07/2001 15:02:11