ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange v2.2

2001-07-24 07:46:06
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange v2.2
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:39:04 -0400
Bruce,

1. "SERVER_NAME" refers to the physical server name.
   In regards to "storage group"...from the README and User's Guide:
     "Throughout TDP for Microsoft Exchange Server documentation
     and messages, the term "storage group" is used.  This is a
     common term that means either a storage group on Microsoft
     Exchange 2000 Server or the Information Store or Directory
     if running with Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5."
   So, in your case (Exch. 5.5) it refers to the "Directory"
   or the "Information Store". So you could do this:

      INCLUDE "EXCSERVERA\Directory\...\*" CLASS1
      INCLUDE "EXCSERVERA\Information Store\...\*" CLASS3

   Look at the User's Guide, (..\doc\tdpexc.chm or
   ..\doc\Ab5m1mst.pdf), it has 5.5 examples at the bottom of
   chapter 2 "Installing and Configuring" under a section called
   "TDP for Exchange Version 2 INCLUDE/EXCLUDE Processing."

2. There is nothing specifically within TDP for Exchange
   that will allow you to throttle down a backup rate.
   You might be able to play some games with some of the
   number of buffers, buffer sizes, and some of the
   "TCP" settings...but if you gained anything, you
   might also see in increase in the CPU utilization.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono

                    Bruce Kamp
                    <bkamp@MHS-NET       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    .COM>                cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     TDP for Exchange v2.2
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    07/24/2001
                    06:32 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Trying to upgrade from v1.1 to 2.2 in an Exchange 5.5 environment.  Have a
couple of config questions:
1.  In the options file in the include section it asks for SERVER_NAME\A
STORAGE GROUP.  Is the SERVER_NAME the physical sever name or TSM node name
(mine happen to be different) & what is A STORAGE GROUP?
2.  Two of my Exchange servers will be backup over our WAN.  With version
1.1 I am having occasional problems with the back up eating up all my
available bandwidth.  Are there any settings other than compression to help
with this problem?

Thanks,
Bruce Kamp
Bruce Kamp