ADSM-L

MediaW slows restore significantly

2001-07-22 08:52:11
Subject: MediaW slows restore significantly
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:51:48 +1200
Has anyone noticed when doing a restore from tape it almost grinds down
to a halt when another process/session requests the same tape?

We had this happen when an impatient client decided to run 2 restores, where
the data on the 2nd restore was on the same tape. The restore slowed from
5MB/s to 30kB/s. When I killed the 2nd restore session it speed up.

Similarly, later that evening, the system decided to migrate data to that
same volume and it did the same thing.

Bug/feature?

Cheers, Suad