ADSM-L

Re: Backup/Restore to a specific tape?

2001-07-19 02:39:20
Subject: Re: Backup/Restore to a specific tape?
From: Jörg Nouvertné <joerg.nouvertne AT WTAL DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:39:47 +0200
Hello,

although there might be some dirty tricks, to force a backup to write to a
specific tape, I don't see any reason to do this. One great advantage of *SM
is, that (from the client perspective) you don't have to care about the
storage media anymore. *SM makes sure (when properly configured, of course),
that every version of a file backed up resides exacly twice in the
corresponding storage, one primary and one copy.

Therefore, the question to "restore a file from a specific tape" does not
make sense at all. You just request the restore of a certain version of a
certain file, and *SM will provide it to you.

To fully understand the "philosophy" of TSM, you better through everything
you know about "tape centric backup" over board, and start thinking in
storage pools and backup policies. I'm sure, you'll like it.

Joerg Nouvertne
http://home.wtal.de/the_swordsman