ADSM-L

Re: Win2k Exclude List

2001-07-16 22:11:40
Subject: Re: Win2k Exclude List
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:12:12 -0500
On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:53:41 -0700, you wrote:
>    Does anyone have an example exclude list for Win2k that will
>basically exclude the entire OS and all OS specific files?  We're trying
>to eliminate backing up all unnecessary files/folders that will be
>restored as part of a separate recovery.  Thanks in advance!

Keep in mind that if you don't back up the OS files, you will have to:

1. Install the base OS
2. Install all the service packs
3. Install all the hotfixes you installed
4. Rebuild all the configurations, local profiles, and customizations
that were in place

And if it's a domain controller or specialized server, you'll lose all
of the system objects.

You're *much* better off backing up the OS files (except the ones
normally excluded). You then do the base OS install and then overlay
the files and system objects that are backed up.