ADSM-L

Re: missing volumes

2001-07-16 08:10:08
Subject: Re: missing volumes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:10:52 -0400
>        Does ADSM kepp in its db a " VOLUME-physical location" relationship
>or does  it ask the atape driver to find the volume XYZ, which atape then
>does a command such as 'tapeutil -f /dev/smc0 inventory", which it then gets
>the tape, loads it(or whatever)and tells adsm that the tape is there?

Steve - My understanding is that for tape hardware that involves Element
        numbers - which is to say that TSM directly controls - TSM keeps track
of what volume is in what element (slot).  In the SCSI...Device Drivers manual,
the SMCIOC_LOAD_MEDIUM ioctl command loads a tape from a specific slot into the
drive: the application therefore has to know what volume happens to be in that
slot, and performing an inventory each time would be excessive overhead.

Do a 'Query LIBVolumes' on your system.  That reports a Home Element, which I
believe will show the correspondence between the volser and slot, as cataloged
by TSM.  (I don't have an SMC to try to corroborate this.)
I believe that the TSM AUDit LIBRary command will bring TSM's catalog of volumes
back into sync with contents and locations with the SMC.

   Richard Sims, BU