ADSM-L

One machine= (one big db and one TSM server) or (two smaller db and two TSM servers)

2001-07-13 10:00:57
Subject: One machine= (one big db and one TSM server) or (two smaller db and two TSM servers)
From: Adam Boyer <adam.j.boyer AT FRB DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:50:08 -0400
Hello,

We will be moving all of our backup clients over to TSM shortly.  Currently,
we are in the designing phase, and one of our major questions is this:

One of our future backup clients is quite big, with around 30 million
objects.  This is probably not far from the sum of all objects on all of our
other future clients.

We have one backup server, a Sun UE450 with 4 x 300 MHz CPUs and up to two GB
RAM available for our use.

We are wondering if it is advantageous to run two TSM servers on that one
machine.  One instance and its databse would be dedicated to the one big
client, and one instance of the TSM server would be for everything else.
This would make one large database into two smaller databases, possibly
improving performance of TSM operations for the majority of machines in our
environment.  But, then we'd also have two servers competing for resources,
etc.

So, to sum:  how much of a negative impact would doubling our database size,
from 22 GB to 44 GB, have?  Could this be allayed by running two TSM servers
on our backup server?  Are there other considerations/complications?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

(I searched the archives, however, so please do not refer me to them in
general, but if you know of a specific message that pertains, that would be
great.)

Adam J Boyer
Communications Analyst
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System