ADSM-L

Re: Tape/Drive problems

2001-07-12 10:01:18
Subject: Re: Tape/Drive problems
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:01:38 -0400
I have a IBM 3575 library and have had similar events a couple of times.  My
understanding of what happens is this.  Some error happens on tape drive and
tape won't dismount, so *SM still thinks tape is mounted - drive in use.  Then
we
dismount tape through other than *SM methods.  *SM doesn't know this.  The only
way I have found to fix is to restart *SM - and I always run a library audit to
clear
any tape location issues.

To clear tape, if it's not damaged, I would do a MOVE DATA on the suspect tape.
Could also do an audit volume to check it.

David Longo

>>> GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM 07/12/01 09:52AM >>>
Hello all and welcome to tape/drive hell.....

Last night I just happened to be looking at TSM from home when I discovered
2 tape drives offline. When I tried to change the status I received the
following message:
07/11/01 20:41:26     ANR8413E UPDATE DRIVE: Drive RMT4 is currently in use.

07/11/01 20:54:15     ANR8413E UPDATE DRIVE: Drive RMT1 is currently in use.

I called operations and discovered they had had an alert on rmt1. A tape was
mounted and could not be removed by TSM so they removed it. Seems as though
an almost exact thing happened to rmt4 and the tape would not come out. Did
they call me, no...did they call IBM, no....I took care of that, fortunately
I just happened to be online and discovered this.

I still could not get the drives online, even after IBM says they fixed
things, so my solution was to restart the system. Sure maybe I could have
brought down TSM and restarted it alone, but I didn't feel like wasting time
and then discovering I needed to restart the system anyway. This way I'm
covered all the way around, if this didn't work IBM would be getting another
call. The restart worked....but for how long? I'll have to keep an eye on
things today while the drives are busy copying data. In the mean time I need
to figure out how to get the data from this tape(s) moved.

The other burning question is, after IBM fixed things, why couldn't I get
the drives back online through TSM? Why the restart?

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:   gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (888) 997-9614

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 07/12/01 10:05:53
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.