ADSM-L

Re: Distribution of PERL TSM Module

2001-07-05 13:37:23
Subject: Re: Distribution of PERL TSM Module
From: John Marquart <jomarqua AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:59:59 -0500
There already exists / did exist one AdsM/TSM related perl module - though
I believe its author has fallen off the face of the earth or
something.  (Never responds to e-mail.)

I vote for your second approach:  Create a TSM modules, then have specific
capabilities be part of derived modules - ala your TSM:Select module - I
could imagine others  - mimicking other TSM features such as disaster
recovery / etc.

-john
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] J�rg Nouvertn� wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] J�rg Nouvertn� wrote:

> Hello,
>
> getting sick of reinventing the wheel every time I had to write a TSM script
> in PERL, I've put some effort in creating a collection of TSM related PERL
> modules, which are ready to be released in a beta version. The currently
> implemented features  are
>
> 1. User/Password handling
> 2. Interface to the administrative console
> 3. Select into an array of hashes with the column names as keys (for
> non-unique select commands)
> 4. Select into an existing hash of hashes with the first column as the
> unique identifier, which can be used to compose one output out of 2
> different tables, e.g. libvolumes and volumes.
>
> Are there any objections to introduce a new PERL namespace TSM at CPAN?
> There are basically 2 approaches:
>
> 1. Having all features in one Module "TSM".
> 2. Having 2 Modules, TSM for the basic features 1 and 2, and a derived
> module TSM::Select for the features 3 and 4.
>
> Approach 1 is easier to implement, however approach 2 is more flexible in
> regards of future efforts of others (your assistant will be appreciated).
> What do you think?
>
> Since I don't have a homepage yet (it's under construction), I can send a
> pre-release of the module via mail (<5kB) to everyone who is interested.
> Just let me know via personal mail.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> J�rg Nouvernt�
> joerg.nouvertne AT wtal DOT de

John "Jamie" Marquart           |     This message posted 100% MS free.
Digital Library SysAdmin        |  Work: 812-856-5174   Pager: 812-334-6018
Indiana University Libraries    |  ICQ: 1131494         D'net Team:  6265