ADSM-L

Re: Change IP Address

2001-07-04 01:57:41
Subject: Re: Change IP Address
From: "Walker, Lesley R" <lesley.walker AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 17:58:10 +1200
> Then again I
> could be forced to change the name in the future so what the
> hell......

If you do have to change the server name, perhaps you could use a CNAME,
also known as a DNS alias.

For instance my test server is called nzwnstsm10002.ems.itf.nz.eds.com
(how's that for a mouthful!) there is an alias called "tsm" set up in the
zone where the clients live so that the client option file has
"tcpserveraddress tsm".  And in a production zone, the tsm alias points to
the appropriate production server.

This is Good Stuff because it means I can have the same option file
everywhere, which makes it really easy to roll out more clients.  It's also
in keeping with traditional practice of having "www" pointing at web
servers, "ftp" pointing at ftp servers and so forth.

Anyway, good luck for the change.

--
Lesley Walker
Lesley Walker