ADSM-L

Re: Data on my tapes

2001-06-29 00:10:41
Subject: Re: Data on my tapes
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 23:05:16 -0500
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:11:15 -0500, you wrote:
>I am just going to 3590K.  I use client compression on everything.  I
>compress on the tape drives also.

Not exactly on topic here, but you actually lose throughput when you
run compression on both ends of the process. You're better off with
tape compression only; the hardware compression algorithm is faster,
more efficient, and the client doesn't get taxed with the rather
significant CPU usage that client compression requires.