ADSM-L

can't read tape label.

2001-06-28 07:55:34
Subject: can't read tape label.
From: Richard Bates <Richard_Bates AT UK.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:55:57 +0100
Help!  We have a customer problem.

Config:
AIX 4.3.3
TSM 4.1.1
2 x 3494 library
FC SAN

Problem:
A disk primary storage pool which migrates to tape very infrequently has
been corrupted.  Basically the files in the JFS filesystem have been
deleted by a root user.  No one admits responsibility.  Therefore the
primary storage pool  volumes have been lost.  A new disk volume has been
created and defined to the storage pool.  We have copy storage pools so we
attempted a restore of the "destroyed" volumes.

Guess what? Tape errors!  The message is

ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume 030171 in drive F5180
(/dev/rmt4).

They have tried reading the tape in other drives but they still get the
same error.  However mtlib mounts the tape OK.

Any ideas?  Is there anyway they can recreate the tape label?  Without this
tape the customer has lost a lof of HSM data!

Thanks
Richard.