ADSM-L

complete change of hardware and server-platform ?

2001-06-28 05:41:53
Subject: complete change of hardware and server-platform ?
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT RZ.UNI-ULM DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:35:21 +0200
Dwight, we tested the aix-to-solaris-tsmdb-moving and it worked very fine-
        so maybe we will use this as a regular 'quick-stand-by-server'
        only for restore/retrieve purpose ( on data located on an
        offsite-copy-server )  and *nothing else*
        ( no backup - no archive - no dbbackup ... ) and only just for
        a short time in case of cpu-crash or in case of desaster.

It's not actual right now but my question is : if there is a need to change
the complete hardware (server platform , backup and archive libraries )
and assuming to have  all data ( maybe temporarily for this action )
located on an offsite-copy-server  ...
... can i thus move to the db on a new server-platform to get the access
to the db and to the offsite copy pools
        then create new dev-classes pointing to the completely new
        library-hardware - create a new primary STG on this newlib-devclasses
        and the all by a command like
        restore stgpool OLDSTG copypool=offsite-copy-pool newstgpool=NEWSTG

Is this a usual way to change to new server-platforms/librarys/tapes ... ?
it seems to be easy and straight forward -

Thanks in advance for any hints !
Rainer

the test we have done:
the test we have done:
on production server-a ( aix-tsm 4.1.3.0 ) doing not all but some of the
        full-DBB into a flatfile located on an solaris-system
on this solaris system server-b  ( tsm4.1.3.0 ) with no tapes - only disk
        and just the solaris server-package installed we load the db exported
        by the production server-a
        ( this solaris system has some km distance to the production-server)
after shutting down the production-tsm-server on the aix system
        -not to run both at once-  we can start this solaris
        'quick-stand-by-server' and have access
                - to all the DB-entries
                - to all data located on the offsite-copy-server ( server-c )
        The dsmserv.opt on the solaris-server was started with
        DISABLESCHED-set-to-YES   to avoid any automatic processes
and
        EXPINTERVAL-set-to-0 to avoid any db Expiration processes -
        additionally we delete all admin schedules on the server-b after
starting.
        All primary volumes were changed access to detryoed.

        So the only thing would then be to change the clients field
        'TCPServeraddress' to the Ip-Address of the solaris-server.
        Any client with data that has a copy on the 'offsite-copy-server'
        can then immediately restore/retrieve data ( to the time of the
        last flatfile-fullbackup - which maybe not the most actual one ).

end of test

 Rainer Wolf                  rainer.wolf AT rz.uni-ulm DOT de
 Tel: 0731-50-22482           Fax: 0731-50-22471
 University of Ulm            http://www.uni-ulm.de/urz
 University Computing Center  Albert-Einstein-Allee 11
 AG Basissysteme              89069 Ulm