ADSM-L

Re: Which version of TSM Win32 to install - 4.1.2.12, 14, 17, 18 ??

2001-06-21 15:42:03
Subject: Re: Which version of TSM Win32 to install - 4.1.2.12, 14, 17, 18 ??
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:42:56 -0400
Jeff Bach wrote, in part..
> Explain what server version is unable to backup NT system object (the
> new one)
> > I'll admit to not understanding "system objects" and their backup and
> > restore, but providing restore of only the most recent registry backup
> > may eventually make us rethink *SM as one of our backup/recovery
> > solutions.  Oh yea, being apparently unable to *backup* system objects
> > to the most recent and supported *SM VM server is even worse.

The version 3.7 and version 4.1 *SM server for the VM platform has a version
3.1 code base.  In other words, the VM server is marketed as v4.1, but at
V3.1 capability.  For example, my workstation daily receives the following
message in the schedule log:

   06/21/2001 12:15:36 Incremental backup of volume 'SYSTEM OBJECT'

   06/21/2001 12:15:50 ANS1924E The specified system object is not valid.

Is there an NTBackup of system object I can do transparently via *SM server
and pre-schedule event?

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System