ADSM-L

Re: Improving NT client throughput

2001-06-21 11:21:26
Subject: Re: Improving NT client throughput
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:22:11 -0400
One additional item on the server can cause slowness with large amount of files
on client.  on server do a: q db f=d
Look for these:

Cache Hit Pct.: 98.10
Cache Wait Pct.: 0.00

These two parameters from my server should be similar.  If Cache Wait is above
0 there is a problem. If Cache Hit Pct is much below 98 % that can cause slower
response, slower server response also - notable on Expiration.  Increase
BUFPOOLSIZE on server to increase hit %.

David Longo

>>> vint.maggs AT SRS DOT GOV 06/21/01 10:29AM >>>
I have a bunch of Windows 2000 clients (file servers) whose backups are
really dragging.  My server is TSM 3.7.3 on Solaris 2.7. The clients are
running TSM v 4.1.2.12.  They have 2 Xeon 700Mhz CPUs and 512 MB RAM,
100Mb NICs on a gigabit backbone.  Each one of these clients has several
hundred thousand files, one is in excess of 1 million files.  TSM
initiates the backup at midnight but it is not until 5 hours later that
these clients really begin pumping data.  I assume this is because it is
taking so long to analyze the files.  If I had my way they would repartion
the drives on these clients so that all these files are not contained in a
single filespace, but that isn't going to happen.

Is there any way to improve performance here?  We are considering the
following options, please give me your opinions.

On Clients:
set changinretries to 1
set tcpbuffersize from 62 to 512
we have already confirmed the tcpnodelay, largecommbuffers, and
memoryefficientbackup options are in our favor.

On Server:
resetting idletimeout from 60 to 15 (default)
resetting commtimeout from 360 to 60 (default)

Thanks,
Vint

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 06/21/01 11:24:47
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.