ADSM-L

Re: Reclaims Ques

2001-06-20 01:17:11
Subject: Re: Reclaims Ques
From: "Walker, Lesley R" <lesley.walker AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:17:59 +1200
Lindsay Morris wrote:
> How long does it usually take for the reclamation process to
> actually stop,
> and release the tape drive(s) so the restore can use them?
> I've typically
> seen this be 40 minutes or more, but I'm not sure why,  or if
> something
> could be done to speed it up.

I think it might depend on the size of the file the reclamation is
processing currently and how much of it is left to go.

It just so happens we've been doing some restore testing and reclamation at
the same time on a 2-drive library, so I've looked back and the logs to see
how long it has taken to finish a preempted process.  So here are some
actual real-life examples from here:

Process        Vol dismount   Process ended
-------        ------------   -------------
Reclamation     3 min           5 min
Reclamation     3 min           5 min
Reclamation      n/a            9 min
Reclamation    <1 min           2 min
Reclamation      n/a           <1 min
Migration        n/a            2 min
Move data        n/a            3 min

The reason for the missing volume dismount times would be because the
restore wanted a volume that was already mounted.

NB: this is on nasty 8mm tapes.

--
Lesley Walker
Lesley Walker