ADSM-L

Re: Archiving vs Backups

2001-06-18 16:38:54
Subject: Re: Archiving vs Backups
From: Lindsay Morris <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:39:20 -0400
IMHO --
Archives and backups serve two different purposes.
Backups let you restore a damaged file or a damaged machine.
Archives let you get some data off the machine and put in on a shelf for a
long time.

Archives are useful for meeting legal requirements for retention, or for
getting rid of a machine/filespace/directory that you're ALMOST sure you
don't need.