ADSM-L

Re: HSM for NT

2001-06-16 05:58:18
Subject: Re: HSM for NT
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:48:50 -0500

"Dearman, Richard" wrote:
> We use the software on our home directory servers.  Our servers are hanging
> when we do a drive scan and we have to disable the otg service and reboot
> the machine to get it working again.  Also,  the software is generating alot
> of error messages trying to locate files.  It seems to be a good product for
> servers that don't change alot.  Our home directory servers continuely
> change when users login and diskextender doesn't seem to keep up with the
> changes very well.

Stop and think about it. The purpose of HSM is to use tape, in place of
disk, for files that are infrequently accessed. It is not meant for
production boxes where files are frequently accessed. If files are being
accessed/changed frequently, there is not an HSM client/server combo in
the world that will be able to keep up with it.

I don't understood the strong interest in HSM in some IT shops. It made
sense when tape was cheap and harddisk real estate was pricey. Now that
the situation is reversed, the file access delay and added overhead of
HSM operations don't make much sense.