ADSM-L

Re: Unload / Reload Informations

2001-06-15 08:43:06
Subject: Re: Unload / Reload Informations
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 08:44:05 -0400
>is there any documentation what is the meaning of a "database record", a
>"database entry", a "Bit vector" and so on ? I didn't find any hint in the TSM
>Documentation.

The TSM database is a proprietary thing, and so is undocumented as to
architecture and detailed content.  As its details relate to our work as TSM
administrators, you might want to submit a requirement to the upcoming
Oxford University TSM Symposium:

  http://tsm-symposium.oucs.ox.ac.uk/requirements.html

In general, though, the terms that pop out of messages and the like in dealing
with the TSM database are generic to database technology.  A database record
and database entry are the same thing, being one associated unit of information,
lexically like a "sentence" is comprised of a basic structure (subject,
predicate, noun, verb).  A "Bit vector" is a little more involved; from my
notes:

Bit Vector                              Database concept for efficiently storing
                                        sparse data. Database records usually
                                        consist of multiple fields. In some db
                                        applications, only a few of the fields
                                        may have data: if you simply allocate
                                        space for all possible fields in
                                        database records, you will end up with a
                                        lot of empty space inflating your db.
                                        To save space you can instead use a
                                        prefacing sequence of bits in each
                                        database record which, left to right,
                                        correspond to the data fields in the db
                                        record, and in the db record you
                                        allocate space only for the data fields
                                        which contain data for this record. If
                                        the bit's value is zero, it means that
                                        the field had no data and does not
                                        participate in this record. If the bit's
                                        value is one, it means that the field
                                        does participate in the record and its
                                        value can be found in the db record, in
                                        the position relative to the other "one"
                                        values.
                                        Example: A university database is
                                        defined with records consisting of four
                                        fields: Person name, College, Campus
                                        address, Campus phone number. But not
                                        all students or staff members reside on
                                        campus, so allocating space for the last
                                        three fields would be wasteful. In the
                                        case of staff member John Doe, the last
                                        three fields are unnecessary, and so his
                                        database record would have a bit vector
                                        value of 1000, meaning that only his
                                        name appears in the database record.

  Richard Sims, BU (once an IMS database guy)