ADSM-L

Re: trunked connection

2001-06-13 12:14:06
Subject: Re: trunked connection
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:15:05 -0400
>I like to make a backup via a trunked ethernet (2*FastEthernet) connection.
>TSM client and TSM server are running on the same machine, the file space to
>backup is a cifs share mounted over ethernet.
>
>When I send the data via a TSM backup session I get only 25 MBit as
>throughput, when I copy the same data with the windows copy commands I get
>about 46 MBit. Do I need to set a parameter for using the trunked
>connection.

Andreas - Historically, Windows TCP/IP performance has not been stellar.

In your co-resident case, you should not be going out through the network,
but rather communicating through the TCP/IP stack.
You instead might want to consider trying Named Pipe communication
(NAMedpipename option), which is the Windows parallel to Shared Memory
in Unix systems.

   Richard Sims, BU